Friday, February 22, 2008

Phoenix Observation # 6: Winter ain't so bad.

I have a feeling my some of my posts have been downers lately, so I'm going to switch gears for a second. It's been a while since my last one, so let's get to it:

Phoenix Observation # 6: Winter ain't so bad.

I could've written this post a while ago, since the weather has been nice here for a while, but I really feel I had to let my thoughts ripen. After a blazing hot summer, I was beginning to doubt the move. Fall was alright, but I really missed the color changes and the crunchiness of leaves under my feet. I don't think a bunch of landscapers sawing off old palm fronds counts as "shedding leaves"... But I thought that was about as good as it was going to get.

Turns out I was wrong. Autumn just rolls by a little late around here. Suddenly in January leaves turned brown and started falling off the trees in my neighborhood. Then I started hearing the familiar sound of 500 HP gas-powered leaf blowers coralling twigs and leaves into small piles. Doesn't anyone own a rake anymore?

Well, Fall turned to Winter real fast, and it got a little cold. Nothing close to what I was used to in Virginia, but it was brisk enough that biking back from the bars became a little less enjoyable (rockin' the alliteration). I started having to wear a jacket on my 2-block walk to work. I started ordering hot instead of cold drinks at Starbucks. Oh, and it started raining semi-regularly.

After two years in the Northwest, I'm used to rain. Getting soaked on the walk home for lunch because I didn't bring a jacket that day is okay. At least there's a dryer at home. Given this ambivalence towards rainy weather, I get to focus on the benefits of a little moisture in the Valley of the Sun: For once, everything starts to turn green. The jagged yellow, brown and red mountains that are spread throughout the city start to grow some foliage.

I realized something when I first started looking into moving to Phoenix. If you look at the satellite images of the Phoenix-area on Google Maps, everything looks pretty green when you are zoomed out far enough. Hell, the Salt River even looks like it's flowing. It's not until you zoom in about two thirds of the way, and it switches over to the high-res shots, that you start to appreciate how barren and brown the landscape is around here. Obviously, the two shots were taken during different parts of the year, and when I got here, things looked a lot more like the zoomed-in shots. Now, after living in Phoenix for almost a year, the valley is starting to resemble those zoomed-out images... Hmm... there's a metaphor in there somewhere.

I'll end this post with a picture from a hike this past weekend. It struck me as rather absurd that the grass that has sprouted all around makes the short, red cactuses look out of place, when in fact it is the other way around. Enjoy.

No comments: