Monday, January 28, 2008

The long-delayed trip recap...


Excuse the delay, graduate school has been less than fun this week. Let me inform you that our trip to Utah was a blast. The snow was great and the my birthday was celebrated in style. I learned, upon returning from Puerto Vallarta, that it was illegal to carry more than one liter of alcohol per person in Arizona. What kind of stupid rule is that? What say should the state have if I choose to walk around double-fisting bottles of Jaeger? Despite having a almost a full liquor cabinet locked away in our suitcase, no one was hassled upon our return to the state, so I'm suspecting they are lenient on this law.

I was told by my friend TJ that the resorts we visited on our trip were not the best Utah had to offer, but we didn't notice. Our first couple of days were spent at Powder Mountain. The trails we empty most of the time, and the lift lines were almost nonexistant. I've seen bigger crowds on Mt. Hood on a Tueday afternoon. All this made for a great time exploring.

Recent snow had left everything nice and soft, which assisted me in convincing Kochanie to hit the Black Diamonds with me. It also probably made Juli's first couple days of There's also a section of the mountain that is only accessable through a short, 200-yard hike which I managed to check out once. Juli's boyfriend risked AMS to join me, and for that I thank him.

It snowed heavily Sunday night, and we woke up to a nice layer of 18-inches of fresh snow. So, after packing up all our gear, we headed down to Park City to check out The Canyons. Located right across the street from Olympic Village, this resort is nice. We traded short lines for slow 2-seaters at Powder Mountain for clusterf**ks at the high-speed quads and gondolas. But the snow was great, and the runs were a lot more exciting.

Juli seemed to get the hang of snowboarding, and we even allowed her to join us for a ride down. Not to say we didn't have to wait 5 minutes for every minute of riding for her. At least she didn't run into a tree. Her boyfriend did though, and let's all hope all his ligaments are okay... although the prognosis is not good. At least he managed to pull it off on his last run of the trip. Although, I suppose any time you injure yourself, it's the last run of the trip.

Enjoy the pictures...

No comments: